The Source Privacy Notice
Last updated: May 23, 2002
What Personal Information About Customers Does The Source Gather?
The information we learn from customers helps us personalize and continually improve your shopping experience at The Source. Here are the types of information we gather.
* Information You Give Us: We receive and store any information you enter on our Web site or give us in any other way. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing future shopping for you, improving our store, and communicating with you.
* Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many Web sites, we use " cookies," and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses
The Source. A number of companies offer utilities designed to help you visit Web sites anonymously. Although we will not be able to provide you with a personalized experience at The Source if we cannot recognize you, we want you to be aware that these tools exist.
* E-mail Communications: We will send an email once or twice a month to alert you of the latest releases we receive. We do not share your email address with any one or any other companies.
* Information from Other Sources: We might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information.
What About Cookies?
* Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and to provide features such as greetings, and storage of items in your Shopping Cart between visits.
* The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. However, cookies allow you to take full advantage of some of The Sources' coolest features, and we recommend that you leave them turned on.
Does The Source Share the Information It Receives?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling or sharing it with others. We share customer information only as described below as controls that either are subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice.
* Promotional Offers: Sometimes we send offers to selected groups of The Source customers on behalf of other businesses. When we do this, we do not give that business your name and address.
* Protection of The Source and Others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; enforce or apply our Conditions of Use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of The Source, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction. Obviously, however, this does not include selling, renting, sharing, or otherwise disclosing personally identifiable information from customers for commercial purposes in violation of the commitments set forth in this Privacy Notice.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
* We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input.
* We reveal only the last five digits of your credit card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing.
* It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
What Choices Do I Have?
* As discussed above, you can always choose not to provide information, even though it might be needed to make a purchase.
The Source does not sell products for purchase by children. If you are under 18, you may use The Source only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
Conditions of Use, Notices, and Revisions
If you choose to visit The Source, your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Notice including limitations on damages, arbitration of disputes, and application of the law of the state of California. If you have any concern about privacy at The Source, please send us a thorough description to info@thesourceformusic, and we will try to resolve it.
Our business changes constantly, and our Privacy Notice will change also. We may e-mail periodic reminders of our notices and conditions, unless you have instructed us not to, but you should check our Web site frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of customer information collected in the past without the consent of affected customers.
Information You Give Us
You provide most such information when you buy or communicate with customer service. For example, you provide information when you search for a product; place an order. As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as your name, address, and phone numbers; credit card information; people to whom purchases have been shipped, including addresses and phone number; people (with addresses and phone numbers); e-mail addresses; content of reviews and e-mails to us; personal description and financial information.
Examples of the information we collect and analyze include the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; login; e-mail address; password; computer and connection information such as browser type and version, operating system, and platform; purchase history, which we sometimes aggregate with similar information from other customers to create features such as Top Sellers and other statistical features.
Information from Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include updated delivery and address information from our carriers or other third parties, which we use to correct our records and deliver your next purchase or communication more easily; account information, purchase or redemption information, and page-view information and credit history information from credit bureaus, which we use to help prevent and detect fraud and to offer certain credit or financial services to some customers.
Information You Can Access
Examples of information you can access easily at The Source include up-to-date information regarding recent orders; personally identifiable information (including name, e-mail, order number)